You've Helped Erowid Reach New Heights!
More than 1,060 of you donated during our Public Support Drive
Thanks for supporting reliable harm-reduction information about psychoactive drugs!
Temporary Enlightenment
Breathing
by Challenger
Citation:   Challenger. "Temporary Enlightenment: An Experience with Breathing (ID 75774)". Erowid.org. Jan 9, 2009. erowid.org/exp/75774

I used to work in a loud steel mill when I was 21. It was the night shift, and my job was the grinder/sander equiped w/ saftey goggles and a hepa filter dust mask I slaved away 10 hours a night. One night I kind of got dumped by this girl I was chasing (another story) but because of this I began to feel like shit. So what did I do?

I began to breathe deeply, very deeply and after about 5 minutes I noticed a drastic change in all of my physiological and psychological demeaner. A marked sence of security took over my body and mind. Even though I was sober as a priest on Sunday morning, I felt very euphoric. Even when my mask/goggle combination fogged up to all hell every deep exhale I let out, the very sense of life took on another meaning, a much less stressfull one with a positive feeling pumping through my veins. My movements were very methodical and slow, very peaceful.

Suddenly I tapered off the technique I was administering and within minutes I was back in my mind of problems. Iíve been able to do this a few other times in my life as easy as it was. It doesnít seem to really be happening untill I am engulfed in it.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 75774