Dear Erowid Readers: We're a small nonprofit that runs the top drug information website in the world. We have only 4 staff but serve 12 million users, and have costs like any big website: servers, power, office space, programs, and staff. To protect our independence, we don't run ads or take government funds. If everyone reading this gave $3, our fundraising would be done today. If Erowid is useful to you, take a minute to keep it online and ad-free another year!
Donate by Bitcoin
Nice Buzz in My Head
Salvia officinalis
by Space Time
Citation:   Space Time. "Nice Buzz in My Head: An Experience with Salvia officinalis (ID 73001)". Erowid.org. Dec 22, 2008. erowid.org/exp/73001

DOSE: 2 joints/cigs smoked Salvia officinalis

Deprivation of smoke can lead to curiosity, which has been said to kill cats. Fortunately, I'm not a cat.

Prompted by a longterm lack of cigarettes and weed, I decided, a few days ago, to pick some sage leaves out of an herb box out on the porch and try to smoke it. I left them on a high cabinet where they wouldn't be disturbed for a few days, actually about half a week, to dry. I would've used an oven, but I researched and found the boiling point of Thujone, the supposed active chemical in Sage, to be slightly lower than that of water.

I checked on the leaves earlier today, and by checking that one of them burned quite nicely when lit with a match I determined they were dry enough to smoke. I took two thin OCB papers and stuck them together so there would be more paper to help the plant burn, as I was unaware of how well sage burns, and I often either double-paper or spliff when I'm burning particularly moist weed. I broke up the leaves, observing quite a strong smell that made me think of minty lotion. I saved a little for later and came out with a relatively thin cigarette.

I had tried once before to smoke sage from a box in my spice cabinet, but it was finely ground into a powder and the cigarette didn't drag well. I also assume the company must've heated the plant up to dry it quicker, boiling out the water and all the Thujone.

I wasn't expecting much from my sage cigarette as I headed outside, but I figured I might as well smoke it, just to enjoy the act of smoking. I lit it and found it to burn nicely, though the double papering was a bit unnecessary and the cigarette burned somewhat quickly. The smoke had that same minty lotion taste and it stung my mouth a bit as I inhaled. My lungs are quite numb to smoke, so I'd be a poor judge of whether or not it was particularly harsh. My mindset was clear, though I was obviously bored enough to be smoking garden sage.

I began to experience a bit of light headedness, which I believe happens whenever someone inhales smoke. But, to my great surprise, I began to feel mildly inebriated. And it didn't go away. It slowly got stronger. I decided that this first cigarette had worked nicely and I'd try a second, rolling the rest of what I had, this time into just one paper. I smoked it and the effects began to kick in stronger.

The high is mild, though there was certainly a high. I felt a nice buzzy feeling inside my head, as I always do from drinking or weed. There was almost no body high. Weed has often given an effect I like to call “crazy thoughts,” or the rapid flow of ideas. Sage provided very little of that, though I was feeling quite spacey. I smoked the sage about 3 and a half hours ago and I still have a nice buzz in my head.

Overall, fresh Sage gives a nice, and I reiterate, surprisingly nice head buzz and it definitely makes me high, though it's DEFINITELY NOT weed. I did a little more research, though and found Thujone to be toxic to the liver and brain, so I would not recommend this.

Anyway, that's about it. Peace.

Exp Year: 2008ExpID: 73001