Erowid relies on the continued generosity of the public for funding.
Please include Erowid Center in your charitable giving plans.
Induced Psychosis
Zolpidem (Ambien)
by Richard R
Citation:   Richard R. "Induced Psychosis: An Experience with Zolpidem (Ambien) (ID 68427)". Erowid.org. Aug 22, 2010. erowid.org/exp/68427

DOSE: 10 mg oral Pharms - Zolpidem (daily)

In 2001, I was suffering from depression and sleeplessness following the break up of a relationship and was prescribed Zolpidem for four weeks. I went back to the doctor for a review, and informed her that I was still having difficulty sleeping - I would fall asleep quite quickly but suffered nightmares and disturbing dreams, and would wake after two or three hours and be unable to get back to sleep. The dose was increased and I was given another prescription for 28 days. During that time, I experienced numerous psychological side effects that I later discovered were from the medication. These included:
* Paranoia - I would get out of lifts a floor above or below the floor I needed to check no-one was following me
* Visual disturbances - I developed blind-spots which I was unaware of - consequently, I pulled out in front of a car I hadn't seen and caused a car crash
* Extreme depression and suicidal tendencies
* Increased aggression - normally unaggressive, I was involved in several altercations, one of which resulted in a fight in a bar
* Extreme emotional feelings and behaviour - I published information on a web site, 'outing' my former partner, which at first I refused to remove. I was consequently convicted of harassment.

Exp Year: 2001ExpID: 68427