New Membership Gift--Ltd. Ed. Art Print
"Solve et Elucido" is a fantastic signed & numbered reverberating giclee print
available for a $500 level donation. It is 12" x 12", on canvas, signed
by the artist as well as Erowid founders Earth and Fire.
Trippy Dippy Stuff
Zolpidem (Ambien)
by GemSmith
Citation:   GemSmith. "Trippy Dippy Stuff: An Experience with Zolpidem (Ambien) (ID 50368)". Erowid.org. Mar 27, 2008. erowid.org/exp/50368

DOSE:   repeated oral Pharms - Zolpidem (pill / tablet)

I have been prescribed Ambien for about a year or two now (to treat the poor sleep associated with narcolepsy), but am only now coming to terms with the effects. When it was prescribed to me, I was only told that it would help me sleep better and that it was unlikely to be addictive, but no side-effects were mentioned. I have been taking Modafinil (Provigil) for narcolepsy every time I have been on Ambien.

The very first time I took it was frightening. I had had some experience with high doses of mushrooms but these visuals weren't even close to them. I saw the lines of my room slither around, and my room was filled with people talking to me. I didn't take the pill again for a long time.

I recently began taking it again after I found out that people take it recreationally. The visuals are far more intense for me than those with acid, they are like what I thought acid would be like. Often I don't remember my actions. I see people around me and converse with them, and I have seen objects in my room mutute into creatures that talk to me and to each other. Sometimes I can get frightened, and I always spend at least an hour wandering around the place and engaging with people and objects before falling asleep. The sleepiness usually remains with me for a day afterwards. The visuals are very very intense, and some of my friends who have taken it have reported similar effects, although not as intense. Ambien is by no means a gentle sleep-aid, for some it has no side effects, but the vast majority of those I know who have taken it have reported at least some alteration to their perception of reality.

Exp Year: 2005ExpID: 50368