Erowid Needs Your End-of-the-Year Support
We're an educational non-profit dedicated to providing a balanced
examination of psychoactive drugs and drug use--to reduce harms,
improve benefits, and support appropriate policies. The site is made
possible by $5, $10, and $50 donations from visitors. Please pitch in!
Finding My Dose
Codeine
by THX1138
Citation:   THX1138. "Finding My Dose: An Experience with Codeine (ID 49961)". Erowid.org. Apr 17, 2008. erowid.org/exp/49961

DOSE:   repeated oral Codeine (extract)

Iíve been a chronic drug user of one sort or another since my early teens. For most of my life the drug of choice has been pot, or any derivative thereof. While I quit smoking cigarettes twice now, I always end up putting tobacco into my joints, which after a while, started to lead to some long-term paranoia. After lighting up Iíd start freaking out about how Iím slowly killing myself etc. To make a long story short, I decided to finally quite Ďsmokingí pot. I still use it in various edible forms, but not every day. However, the abstinence had some strange consequences. I became much more interested in other drugs. Iíve always had a predilection for downers. Iíve chipped at heroin a bit, used valium recreationally, pot chronically, alcohol on occasion. You get the idea.

Anyway, not having hook up for any hard opioids, I thought Iíd give the codeine thing a try. I had a root canal procedure and was prescribed a very generous amount of T3ís. At the time I didnít think about it much, as I was still smoking, but now the pill bottle has become rather interesting. I like to think of myself as a rather safe (and paranoid) user. I started off with 2 T3ís on an empty stomach just to try. I had absolutely no tolerance and found the effects quite pleasant. Relaxing, but also subtle, as most of the other reports have described.

The following week (I have a once a week rule with opiods, i.e., I donít use more than once a week) I tried 3 T3ís and 4, 222ís. (222ís are a Canadian OTC brand containing 8mg codeine, caffeine, and acetylsalicylic acid (i.e. aspirin)). I had heard that the euphoric effects didnít manifest below 100 mg of codeine and thought this might be a nice next step to see if I could experience anything more significant. For this, however, I used the codeine-extraction method. I know I didnít need to because the ACET/aspirin does werenít high enough, but like I said, Iím paranoid. I lay down to watch a movie with my girlfriend. I had also dosed on an empty stomach. I noticed the first effects within half an hour of drinking the codeine-water. The effects were much like taking two T3ís but stronger. I was more relaxed, more calm. There was about 5 minutes of true euphoria, but then that was gone not to return again on that trip. I have to add that I noticed the effects more when I got up and walked around than lying down. I also had a crampy stomach, not really pain, but not necessarily pleasant.

The next time I did an extraction using 7 T3ís. If I didnít lose too much codeine I should have had around 200mg (210mg if it was perfect) in the water. Of course, there is no way to tell, but I certainly had more than in either of the two previous tries. About 10 Ď 30min in I felt even more calm, and more relaxed than the last time. Again I was lying down, and again, when I got up I really felt it. There was no euphoria to speak of though. This might also have been because 1. I didnít follow my once a week rule and may have had some tolerance, and/or 2. I didnít extract as much as I thought.

The problem came later. I was trying to go to sleep about three hours after dosing. I couldnít. Not only could I not sleep, but my heart was pounding like crazy. I thought it would pass and tried to ignore it. I wasnít able to, and started to panic a bit. I knew I hadnít taken nearly enough ACET/aspirin (even if I hadnít done the extraction) to OD, but yet, I was sweating, my heart was beating out of my chest, and my thought I heard ringing in my ears. These are classical OD symptoms for ACET/aspirin. Of course, I wasnít OD-ing. I was rushing on the caffeine which canít be filtered out in the codeine extraction. This was rather unpleasant. My body was very relaxed, but by CNS was screwed on caffeine. I dosed at 9pm, and managed to get to sleep at around 4am. I had to work the next day.

Knowing now that I was not OD-ing, I will gladly to it again. However, I donít think I will do much more than 200 mg of T3ís unless I can get some without caffeine. One more note: the constipation really sucks. I usually plan on not taking a shit the next day, and sometimes for more than that. My friend, however, has diarrhea whenever she doses T3ís, so you may want to reckon with either.

All in all worth doing. Perhaps heroin or opium is a better buzz and in the end, less hassle, but for a cheap nice easy enjoyable night T3ís certainly do the trick.

Exp Year: 2006ExpID: 49961