Dear Erowid Readers: We're a small nonprofit that runs the top drug information website in the world. We have only 4 staff but serve 12 million users, and have costs like any big website: servers, power, office space, programs, and staff. To protect our independence, we don't run ads or take government funds. If everyone reading this gave $3, our fundraising would be done today. If Erowid is useful to you, take a minute to keep it online and ad-free another year!
Donate by Bitcoin
Lead Around Like a Child
Zolpidem (Ambien)
by Maudite
Citation:   Maudite. "Lead Around Like a Child: An Experience with Zolpidem (Ambien) (ID 43084)". Erowid.org. Sep 7, 2008. erowid.org/exp/43084

DOSE: 30 mg oral Pharms - Zolpidem (pill / tablet)

My supply for weed was burnt out on the night of May 13th, 2005 when I decided to search the medicine cabnets for anything that I could get some sort of effect from. It didn't take me long to find a bottle half full with Ambien. I hadn't really looked into sleep aids before so I didn't exactly know what it would do. I remembered that my health teacher my freshman year in high school told us that taking too much of any sleep aid would cause strange effects. I decided to check online and read some experiences. It turns out that you can totally trip ass on Ambien. This excited me greatly considering how I had half a bottle in my possession. I called up my friend P and asked him if he would like to do some ambien with me. It didn't take him long to say yes. I decided that we would both take 3 pills each, 30 mg.

The next day I went over to his house and we sat around and played music for while. 7:45PM rolled around and we decided to down all 3 at the same time. I hadn't eaten food since like 9 am that day, so my stomach was rather empty. P had eaten a hamburger and other shit like an hour before. I started feeling the effects at least 15 minutes later. Probably about 5 minutes after that I don't remember anything. I had been sitting at the computer listening to music and the next thing I know it's 1 am and I'm floating around in P's pool. It was 40 degrees that night, so our judgement on ambien wasn't that good.

I remember complaining that the my trip wasn't very good and that it was a waste of time. I was still tripping rather hard but I didn't realize that I was coming down. Appariently I had tripped way harder than P. He told me that we had gone outside 3 times throughout the night. Once to the car in the driveway, and twice to the backyard. The first time we went outside he said I stood up and immediately fell over and layed on the floor for a while. I have a bruise on my side now, so I assume thats where it came from. On our way outside he said I had stopped in the middle of the hallway for no reason. I vaguely remember standing somewhere staring at his baby sister because she was staring at me. When we got to the backyard for the first time, he said that he had to hold my hand because I kept getting lost or I would just stand there or something. I sat down in this wheelchair that he had for whatever reason, not knowing it was a wheelchair, and he pushed me and I freaked out.

We went back to his bedroom and he told me that I had stripped down almost naked because I wanted his step brother to leave the room, which proved successful. I sat around with my shirt off for some reason. P explained to me that I would try and tell him something then I would stop and immediately ask what just happened, or where I was. C came over around this time and said that I would ask where I was almost every 10 seconds. Appariently, C got lucky with a girl that night, and P and I tried to convince him to call her because we wanted to see her naked (which we didn't we were joking) and he got a little mad.

We went out to the car and P had to hold my hand again. We sat in his car for whatever reason and P decided to mess with me, he took his lighter and he would spark it in my face really fast. For some reason I do remember this, and I remember what I thought it was. It looked like artillery shells they shoot off on July 4th at the fair grounds or whatever. He said I asked him to do it again, but I said it in a way I wouldn't normally say it. I said it like 'Do it once more'. He told me that I was very serious about everything and my voice was deep and slow.

We went to the pool and swam around a little bit. It took me about an hour to realize where we were. I also realized that it was a very stupid idea and we went back inside. I had the urge to smoke anything, so I smoked some roach paper that P had for whatever reason. I somehow managed to get a buzz from that paper and the effects of the ambien returned a little bit. We stayed up until about 4 am then went to sleep.

I really liked the effect I got from ambien. From what I can remember, I remember seeing bright colors when I opened my eyes in the dark room. And when I would look at the computer monitor words would disappear from the screen and I couldn't read anything. I didn't like the amnesia at all, or the fact that someone had to hold my hand when we went somewhere, as if I became a small child.

If I do this drug again I will take it at a lower dose, so at least I can enjoy it.

Exp Year: 2005ExpID: 43084