More than 2 million people use Erowid every month...
but only 100 of those contribute financially.
If you use Erowid, PLEASE DONATE!
Recreational and Therapeutic Use
Gabapentin (Neurontin)
by Rye
Citation:   Rye. "Recreational and Therapeutic Use: An Experience with Gabapentin (Neurontin) (ID 41390)". Erowid.org. Mar 13, 2007. erowid.org/exp/41390

DOSE: 1800 mg oral Pharms - Gabapentin (pill / tablet)

Backround: Iím a young male,165 lbs, 6ft.tall.

Iím an avid user of psychoactives, everything from over the counter highs to street drugs such as LSD, marajuana, cocaine...basically whatever comes my way. Iíve been diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) for 2 years.

As of recently Iíve been slowing down on heavier psychoactives(LSD and mushrooms)and looking for a less powerful high. I was looking through my medicine cabinet when I found a bottle of 600mg Neurontin(Gabapentin) tablets. I had no clue what the were, so I went to ask my dad. He explained that his doctor prescribed them for nerve pain, and also anxiety. He gave me three and told me to take them when and if I get a bad headache...I popped them ten minutes later and drank a cola for absorption.

About an hour later I noticed that I was having slight perceptual changes, which greatly increased over the next hour. My head and limbs were numb and I felt very floaty and dizzy. The feeling was actually very euphoric, to my surprise. The euphoria caused by this substance is equal or greater than that caused by codeine. This is when I discovered its recreational effects.

This drug feels very different than many others I have taken, so I couldnít make a good comparison. Itís definitely a downer, but has qualities of a stimulant it also is a great anti-anxiety medication.

I took my dads pills about two more times before I got a prescription of my own, now I enjoy eating them all day. They make me very comfortable and sociable, something uncharacteristic of myself. Now Iím starting to notice the therapeutic effect

Exp Year: 2005ExpID: 41390