Tough economic times hurt Erowid Center.
Help by making a small contribution.
The Highs and Lows
Brabiturates (Fioricet)
by Anonymous
Citation:   Anonymous. "The Highs and Lows: An Experience with Brabiturates (Fioricet) (ID 39635)". Erowid.org. Nov 30, 2007. erowid.org/exp/39635

DOSE:   repeated oral Barbiturates (pill / tablet)

Fioricet has been my pharmaceutical of choice for many years now. I was originally prescribed the drug for chronic migraines when I was a teenager. I quickly discovered that I got the most fantastic high from it by taking slightly over the dosage my Dr recommended. Fioricet (or generically Esgic) is a non-formulary pharmaceutical tablet that only comes in a tablet containing 50mg of Butalbital/acetaminophen 325mg/caffeine 40mg. The brand name is blue in colour and the generic versions are white. I have noticed some differences in the absorption rates of the generic vs. the brand name, the brand name absorbs quicker in my opinion, but both yield the same results ultimately.

In the beginning I take 3-4 pills. My tolerance built very quickly. It is a very fast acting and speedy high, but also has a nice smoothe happy feel to it. I will clean my room, run around the block, but be at peace doing it. I will find myself confident and productive and it will start me on a very nice weight loss program at the same time (thanks to the caffeine contained in the pharmacology). I have spent time doing anything and everything on this drug, working, cleaning, watching TV. It's a pretty safe drug as far as my general impairment in the first stages.

The downside of Fioricet is that when I crash, and I WILL crash, I crash hard and will sleep for lengths of time that I did not think possible. I can become anemic and notice myself bruising at the slightest touch of someone.

This is a very difficult drug to shake lose from and withdrawel is not a pretty picture. I loved and hated this drug for about 10 years and have only recently become free of it. I still dream about it. I still love it. When I stop cold turkey (which I should not, I should ween myself off it slowly-taking a lower dosage each day-but I think we all know that's VERY hard to do when I love a high) I experience night sweats, nightmares, muscle spasms, depression and I will sleep for about 2 days.

Exp Year: ExpID: 39635