Not Thrilling, But Nice
Diphenhydramine
by Spicerack-F
Citation:   Spicerack-F. "Not Thrilling, But Nice: An Experience with Diphenhydramine (ID 33729)". Erowid.org. Nov 14, 2006. erowid.org/exp/33729

DOSE: T+ 0:00 250 mg oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)
  T+ 1:00 250 mg oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)
  T+ 16:15 650 mg oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)
  T+ 18:38 50 mg oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)
  T+ 19:41 50 mg oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)
  T+ 36:18 300 mg oral Diphenhydramine (pill / tablet)

For the past two days I have spent the better part of my waking hours on diphenhydramine, and I enjoyed almost every minute of it. The more I read about its dangers, the more that worries me.

I had never used diphenhydramine before except as a sleep aid in the recommended dose. I wasn't using any other drug at the time, except caffeinated soft drinks with meals, and my usual quota of cigarettes.

What follows is adapted from the notes I took at the time:

Tuesday
4:00 a.m.
Took 5 Maximum Strength Sominex -- at 50mg diphenhydramine to a caplet, that's 250mg in all. I may take more in an hour. I'm going to go out for a smoke.

4:33
I'm watching a movie on TV. No noticeable effects yet.

4:55
Slight loss of balance (I may be imagining it): I stood up and found myself lurching sideways.

5:00
I've taken another 250mg.

5:06
A slight, almost imperceptible sensation of warmth in my abdomen; I also feel definitely light-headed.

5:40
Light-headedness is more pronounced. I am only slightly drowsy. The experience so far is comparable to a 1st-plateau DXM trip or a mild drunk.

5:46
My pulse is normal, but weak. I feel slightly warm.

6:04
The drowsiness is delicious. Only, I keep *almost* falling asleep, then snapping out of it with a start.

I just heard three computer-like beeps, one long and two short. I think it is an hallucination; there isn't anything in this room that normally beeps.

I know I should not by lying down, but I am anyway. I'm trying not to fall asleep, though.

My legs feel as though they were about to cramp up.

6:53
It's getting harder and harder to stay awake.

My stomach is uncomfortable. Not painful, and not exactly nauseous, but *uncomfortable*. The rest of my body feels the same way, though not as bad; still, I can't find a comfortable postion to lie in.

5:18 p.m.
And sure enough, I let myself sleep -- a long, dead, heavy sleep, but surprisingly refreshing.

10:15
I'm trying this again: 5 left-over Sominex and 8 store-brand softgels of the same potency, 750mg in all.

11:16
No noticeable effects yet.

Wednesday
12:15 a.m.
Still no noticeable effects. Perhaps I should have taken it on an empty stomach.

12:38
I'm feeling *something* now -- a kind of wooziness. I'm going to take one more softgel.

1:41
I've taken yet another softgel, bringing the total to 750mg. Effects are obvious now, but disappointingly mild.

1:51
This has been happening for a while: any sudden noise makes me tense up. *Any* sudden noise, from the elevator bell to people laughing on TV.

1:57
I keep hearing little tapping and clicking noises. I do not know if they are real or not, but they still make me shudder involuntarily.

2:43
My hands are *light*. It's rather the same sensation you get when you pick up a cup you think is full, only to jerk it two feet in the air because it was empty, after all.

4:43
About an hour ago I was sitting, smoking, out in front of the dorm and suddenly I smelled pot. It was only for a moment, though, and there was nobody around and no apparent source for the smell.

I decided to walk to the computer lab. As I was walking, I saw several people standing in the distance. (It occured to me that they might be the pot smokers.) As I came closer, they disappeared, leaving only one. He was standing behind some shrubbery, so I could only see his head and shoulders.

As I came closer still, the man's head disappeared and in its place there was a white folding chair standing on top of an outdoor table.

I'm back in my room now. The effects have largely worn off, though cottonmouth, and a kind of tired feeling in my muscles, persist.

5:01
One thing I forgot to mention, but probably should: this stuff has been playing havoc with my memory. I'd be in the middle of a train of thought, and suddenly my mind would go blank -- leaving me wondering what I had been thinking about only a few seconds before.

4:18 p.m.
I fell asleep shortly after that last entry, and woke up about half an hour ago. I have 300mg left, which I've decided to go ahead and take.

5:36
It kicked in while I was eating supper about 15 minutes ago.

For 'only' 300mg, this is surprisingly strong -- it almost feels stronger than the 750mg last night. My head and limbs feel light, as they did before, and I have the sensation of something thick and heavy wrapped around the top of my head.

My memory is going again, too.

8:23
Effects held steady, neither increasing nor decreasing, until shortly before 8. Then they tapered off very quickly, and now I feel no more than the slightest intoxication.

Of course, I frittered the experience away watching TV. When will I learn?

Exp Year: 2004ExpID: 33729