Erowid Needs Your End-of-the-Year Support
We're an educational non-profit dedicated to providing a balanced
examination of psychoactive drugs and drug use--to reduce harms,
improve benefits, and support appropriate policies. The site is made
possible by $5, $10, and $50 donations from visitors. Please pitch in!
Ambien Nightmare
Zolpidem (Ambien)
by Unhappy Burner
Citation:   Unhappy Burner. "Ambien Nightmare: An Experience with Zolpidem (Ambien) (ID 26604)". Erowid.org. Sep 4, 2003. erowid.org/exp/26604

DOSE: 1 tablet oral Pharms - Zolpidem

I had my own personal drug holocaust (and yes: it was that bad) on Ambien. It was by far the worst drug experience I have had in years and years.

The stage was set: I was at Burning Man. I took a nice shower. I was clean. I curled up in the RV. The air conditioning was on. It was going to be a nice six hour snooze through the day, leaving me refreshed and ready to kick some ass that night. Prepared for an afternoon of dozing bliss, I took that little Ambien pill.

...And was immersed into a seven-hour hell that took me to depths I'd never experienced.

Nightmare after nightmare lurked for me there in my Ambien-induced coma. There was no escaping! No awaking! There was much shifting and rocking in my mind, and all the dreams seemed to revolve around being sucked into some anus-like black hole. I was semi-lucid could I control it? Could I stay away from the black hole? No, I couldn't. It's sphincterescense pulled me closer and closer. No, hole, no! Let me go!

I awoke seven hours later, just before sunset. I was nauseas, shaking, wobbly, disoriented, and felt like I'd just been raked through the coals of hell. Friends coaxed me into weakly slurping down a little noodle soup as my campmates tip-toed around me whispering, 'She had a bad trip on that sleeping pill.'

I awoke more exhausted than I'd fallen asleep. I toddled around confusedly licking the wounds of my own sedation. I felt like I needed to inhale the goods of an entire seedy Columbian cartel just to come back to some moderately normal state of mind. Thankfully, I didn't. Regardless, it was awful. Oh yeah: and then I got a massive bloody nose. It should be noted that there were NO OTHER DRUGS IN MY SYSTEM during this Ambien experience.

Note to self: stick to Valium.

Exp Year: 2003ExpID: 26604