Shaman Women, Plant Medicine, & Psychedelics Salon
This event will examine different ways that power can be misused in ceremonies that use plants as sacraments, and practical steps that participants can take to protect themselves.
Vancouver Canada, Nov 14 - 15, 2014
First Pod Experience
Poppy Tea
by Murple
Citation:   Murple. "First Pod Experience: An Experience with Poppy Tea (ID 2350)". Erowid.org. Jul 15, 2000. erowid.org/exp/2350

author logo
DOSE: 3.0 g oral Poppies - Opium (dried)

I recently obtained a small amount of dried opium poppy pods (giganthemum variety). Using a coffee grinder, I ground all the pods into a powder for ease of measurement and dosage consistency. I weighed out 3 grams of powder and boiled 1 cup of water in the microwave. I dumped the powder into the water along with about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and stirred it all together. I let it steep for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, then strained it through a cheesecloth. The resulting tea was a dark brownish yellow, cloudy liquid with a not too appealing smell. I added a bunch of sugar, then put it it in the refrigerator to cool. Once cooled, I chugged down the brew as fast as possible. The taste was bad, but nowhere near as bad as some plant brews I've downed in my day - bitter and sour at the same time. Certainly not a hint of the lovely aroma of opium smoke!

Within an hour, I began to feel a typical opiate high, though not a particularly strong one. Once I reached the full effect, it lasted for several hours. In strength it was perhaps comparable to taking a Percocet, perhaps a little more. There was a mild hint of nausea in the very beginning, about what I would expect for the level of opiate high I was feeling. Some itchiness developed about 2 hours after drinking the tea, though this was milder than the itch I get from the synthetic opiates I've had. The high maintained about the same level for around 4 hours, then declined slowly until I went to sleep.

I was surprised at the effectiveness of poppy pods. If I were the kind who really enjoyed opiates, I'd probably find myself buying a supply. Opiates may be good for pain and coughs, but as a recreational high, I find the effects a little boring, and the itch and nausea detract from the high even further. Were I to repeat the experience with pods of the same strength, I would probably bump the dose up to at least 5 grams of material. A regular user of opiates would probably require significantly more.

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 2350