Tough economic times hurt Erowid Center.
Help by making a small contribution.
Ephedrine Horror
Ephedrine & Alcohol
by Jeffrey Kirk
Citation:   Jeffrey Kirk. "Ephedrine Horror: An Experience with Ephedrine & Alcohol (ID 2261)". Erowid.org. Jun 30, 2000. erowid.org/exp/2261

DOSE: 8 glasses oral Alcohol (liquid)
  8 tablets oral Ephedrine (pill / tablet)

Until the weekend before last, I assumed that Ephedrine was a relatively safe and harmless way to perk up without any unusual side effects. Then something happened which most definitely changed my mind.

During the course of an evening, I had consumed a fair amount of alcohol (7-8 drinks over several hours), smoked a bowl of pot, and had taken 8 Ephedrine tablets. Then I decided to drive from my home in Austin down to visit a friend in San Antonio. I really wasn't that drunk, and I wasn't still particularly stoned, so I assumed I'd be fine. I was wrong.

[Erowid Note: Driving while intoxicated, tripping, or extremely sleep deprived is dangerous and irresponsible because it endangers other people. Don't do it!]

One second I'm leaving my house, and literally the next thing I know it's 45 minutes later and I'm driving off the road and colliding with a barbed wire fence. Conscious thought and memory hit me in one sudden, horrifying moment. Though I can clearly remember everything after that moment (which occurred as I slammed into the fence), there's about 45 minutes before that point which I have absolutely no recollection of. Somehow I ended up on a country road in the middle of nowhere where I most definitely should NOT have been; I was on the wrong road and I had no idea why I would be on it. There's one route I take to San Antonio, and that wasn't it. I can't really say it was a blackout, though, because I was conscious the entire time - and DRIVING, no less.

I know it was the Ephedrine which caused me to blackout the 45 minutes between the time that I left my house and when I had the wreck, since I've never had an experience like that on pot or alcohol alone. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Can anyone explain why this occurred? The scary part is that I know I completely lost control of my senses. I was driving down a road which there was no reason for me to be on, and I can't figure out why. Fortunately the road was empty (since it was the middle of the night) and I hit a fence instead of slamming head-on into a tree or another car.

Exp Year: 1995ExpID: 2261