Dear Erowid Readers: We're a small nonprofit that runs the top drug information website in the world. We have only 4 staff but serve 12 million users, and have costs like any big website: servers, power, office space, programs, and staff. To protect our independence, we don't run ads or take government funds. If everyone reading this gave $3, our fundraising would be done today. If Erowid is useful to you, take a minute to keep it online and ad-free another year!
Donate by Bitcoin
They Call It Hippie Crack for a Reason
Nitrous Oxide
by Empire
Citation:   Empire. "They Call It Hippie Crack for a Reason: An Experience with Nitrous Oxide (ID 1705)". Erowid.org. Oct 25, 2000. erowid.org/exp/1705

DOSE:   inhaled Nitrous Oxide (gas)

I learned in 2 days why they call it hippie crack.

It was the second week before school got out. I had been talking to one of my friends who was graduating (super senior). He had been telling me about his experiences with whipits. The more I heard, the more I wanted to try them.

I finally asked him if he would pick me up some (me being a minor and all). That day when I went home I decided to research whippits a bit, and for the most part I only heard good things. So the next day I blew what money I had laying around plus my lunch money on a brown bag containing one charger (cracker, popper) and twenty-four nitrous filled containers intended solely for whipped cream use. I now could hardly wait to get home and experience what I had only heard about.

The experience was unexplainable. I only did one more after that, and decided I could just do 3 or less every couple of days. I thought wrong. I was unable to throw myself into a pool of white noise and numbness that weekend, nor did I really even have a craving or anything for them. When I returned home from school that rainy-ass monday my obvious reaction was to break out about 3 whippits and relax on the couch, watch TV, and finish up pizza from the previous night.

After the three, I realized that nothing was stopping me from going up and getting 3 more whippits. I had plenty more, and after those I would just stop. It wasn't like I had to or like I felt as if I couldn't go without another, I just did. It's now 5:30, I started around 3:00 and by my own half conscious addition I now have 17 empty whippit catriges next to me. FUCK! There goes all except about 4 whippits left. There goes almost $40 in one day. FUCK! The thing was, I didn't feel like I was addicted. The moral: if you do try whipits, try them with some friends. That way you'll do less and spend less.

Exp Year: 2000ExpID: 1705