Contribute $30 and receive Erowid Extracts...
our print newsletter filled with articles about psychoactive plants and chemicals.
Poppy Tea: Much Better Than Lipton Tea!
Poppies
by Jasmyn
Citation:   Jasmyn. "Poppy Tea: Much Better Than Lipton Tea!: An Experience with Poppies (ID 16900)". Erowid.org. Dec 15, 2002. erowid.org/exp/16900

DOSE: 35 flowers oral Poppies - Opium (liquid)

[EROWID NOTE: POTENCY VARIES GREATLY WITH POPPY PODS. WITH SOME VARIETIES, 2 OR 3 LARGE POPPYHEADS IS PLENTY. USE CAUTION AND ALWAYS START WITH A LOW DOSE UNTIL YOU KNOW THE POTENCY]

I recently purchased a book that tells you how to make poppy tea. You grind the poppy heads into a blender with two cups of boiling water for a couple of minutes and let it steep for 10 minutes or so. Then you use a wire mesh strainer to filter out most of the plant residue. After that, pour the liquid into a coffee filter to filter out the rest of the plant residue. The book tells you to use about 10 dried poppy heads.

I tried it that way, but it wasn't strong enough for me (apparently I have a bit of a tolerance for opiates). Plus the tea tasted disgusting! The next time I used 35 dried poppy heads instead of just 10. I added some vanilla extract and honey to it to make it taste better. Also I took it on an empty stomach. This time I felt quite relaxed. It takes about an hour for the tea to kick in and the effect lasted me about six hours. What's great about drinking the poppy tea versus taking a Vicodin or Percocet is that you enjoy the high without wanting to do it over and over again. This is good because you can avoid addiction this way.

Now instead of eating pain pills whenever I can get ahold of some, I drink poppy tea ocasionally as a way to relax. I now do this once a week on a day when I have nothing to do. I work 4 or 5 times a week. I take a day or two out of my week to run errands and get things accomplished. The seventh day, I rest and enjoy my poppy tea. Trust me it's a lot better than Lipton!

Exp Year: 2002ExpID: 16900