Erowid is a one-of-a-kind resource
We are an educational non-profit dedicated to providing a balanced
examination of psychoactive drugs and drug use--to reduce harms,
improve benefits, and support appropriate policies. The site is made
possible by $5, $10, and $50 donations from visitors. Please pitch in!
Paxil + MDMA = Nothing
Ecstasy & Paroxetine (Paxil)
by Neuro
Citation:   Neuro. "Paxil + MDMA = Nothing: An Experience with Ecstasy & Paroxetine (Paxil) (ID 10612)". Erowid.org. Nov 15, 2001. erowid.org/exp/10612

The common speculation that SSRI's, such as Paroxetine HCl (Paxil), significantly reduce the effects of 3,4-methelenedioxy-n-methylamphetamine is, in my experience, true.

About two years ago I was given by a psychiatrist a large amount of Paxil for extreme depression. After a while, I stopped taking it, as I started to resolve my problems and because I just didn't like the dependency that I felt like I was acquiring to it. Well, about four months ago, I took my first hit of Ecstasy. The day after, I dug up all the rest of my Paxil and started taking it again. It was as if the Ecstasy had made me feel good and the Paxil had sustained the feeling. It was not like I was constantly 'rolling', just much more pleasant and calm all the time.

About a week or two later, after having taken 20 mg of Paxil everyday, I took another hit of Ecstasy. Nothing happened. All of my friends got off incredibly on the same stuff, but absolutely nothing happened to me! The information I have read on this website seems to fit exactly with what happened to me, but I noticed that there were only a couple experience reports about it.

My advice is, that if you plan on spending the money on Ecstasy, make sure you have not consumed an SSRI's within AT LEAST a week. If you do, I am afraid that you will be throwing at least most of your money out the window.

-Neuro.